As David recently posted, our team has been hard at work implementing DistrictBuilder, where we’ve been investing a great deal of effort on both performance and usability. One feature we added in the spring was the addition of basemaps to the user interface. Before this addition, users labored over drawing the perfect district configurations without a whole lot of context of the surrounding environment (e.g. roads, water boundaries, etc.). When the time came to add a basemap to the application, it didn’t feel right restricting it to a single type of map, or even a single provider. We wanted to allow for users to have the choice to select the best map for the task at hand. Could an application promoting democracy really have it any other way? Since DistrictBuilder needs to be flexible enough to meet the needs of users and administrators in a variety of situations, we decided on a two step approach to basemap configuration. First, the administrator specifies, in the configuration file, which of the combinations of map providers and map types are allowed to be selected. Then DistrictBuilder presents all of the configured options to the user, where they can be toggled among at any time while a plan is being viewed or edited. Here’s an example of an instance configured with an OpenStreetMap road layer, a Bing hybrid layer, and a Google satellite layer: DistrictBuilder currently allows the configuration of basemaps using permutations of each of the three vendors and three map types described above. Adding more options is a relatively easy task, however. With the launch of Fix Philly Districts, we wanted the basemap colors to be slightly more muted than the above options, and ended up adding support for the ArcGIS Online World Topographic Map. We also experimented with the Google Maps V3 custom styling API, which looked great, but introduced performance problems when panning and zooming (animations). There were, of course, some hoops that needed to be jumped through in order to get all of these basemaps behaving correctly on the same map, which will be discussed below. I’ve extracted the logic required to do so into a small demo that can be viewed/downloaded here. The demo has also been embedded into this post, and can be interacted with without going anywhere: Many of the challenges that needed to be overcome to get this working correctly were brought about because we needed to restrict the zoom levels to the area at hand. We wanted to eliminate superfluous zoom levels to ensure the user was always operating within the appropriate boundaries (note: it is not done in this demo, but in DistrictBuilder we also restrict the extent with the ‘restrictedExtent’ map parameter, so users can’t even pan outside of the area). One difficulty with setting zoom levels on the different layers is that the layers don’t use zoom parameters consistently. In Bing (the VirtualEarth layer), minZoomLevel and maxZoomLevel are needed. In Google, minZoomLevel is needed, but it requires numZoomLevels instead of maxZoomLevel. And in OpenStreetMap (the OSM layer), well…no combination of those seem to work — we needed to slightly modify the XYZ layer (OSM’s base class) to allow maxResolution to be changed based on the minZoomLevel. To see how this is done, view the demo source. With that change in place, the list of required layer parameters is as follows: We also faced some problems related to coordinate systems. DistrictBuilder uses GeoServer and GeoWebCache to serve up WMS layers. The coordinate system of our data is one version of the the ever-changing “Popular Visualization CRS / Mercator” projection. We needed to match up the OpenLayers projection to the one used on our data, or else we were seeing slight offsets on our overlays. Unfortunately, the ‘projection’ layer parameter isn’t always used within the layers correctly. For example, any layer using the SphericalMercator class gets its projection automatically hardcoded to 900913. We needed to make a slight modification to the SphericalMercator class to allow the ‘projection’ parameter to carry through. This can be seen by viewing the demo source. One interesting part about implementing zoom restriction was that we needed it to work in any instance of DistrictBuilder — from large states to small towns, which may have vastly different extents. Instead of having an administrator figure out the proper minimum zoom level, we calculate it automatically based on the extent, which requires a little bit of basic algebra. In DistrictBuilder, we calculate this dynamically on the server side (using Django) by filtering all of the geounits in the database and calling the ‘extent’ function on the query set. For the demo, this is hardcoded. Here’s how to transform this extent into a Spherical Mercator minZoomLevel: Source.